Skilled Visa

'Skilled Visas' is a common term used by potential Australian permanent resident visa applicants. The Australian Migration program has a number of visa options related to a persons occupational skills and attributes.
'General Skilled Migration' or 'GSM' are another terms used for skilled visa and include visa options related to a persons, nominated occupation, skills assessment and points allocated under the points test.

    We can assist with all stages of the GSM process staring with assessment of your circumstances and outline of the potential options. Other options may also be possible and include employer nominated/sponsored visas, distinguished/global talent and business visas. These alternatives are outlined in other sections of our website and we recommend contacting us to arrange consultation with one of our experienced Registered Migration Agents.

Our team has years of experience securing successful general skilled migration outcomes. Below is an overview of the current GSM visas. If you are looking for assistance please contact us to arrange consultation.

Two Col Img 02

Skilled Independent Visa Subclass 189

This visa is for individuals and their immediate family unit. Primary criteria and the points test take into account various factors including formal migration skills assessment, qualifications, employment history, English language ability and age.

Two Col Img 03

Skilled State Sponsored Visa Subclass 190

Similar to the subclass 189, this visa has primary criteria and points test with the variation of attaining an Australian State/Territory government sponsorship/nomination. Often this visa is an alternative for applicants who do not have an occupation on a particular Skilled Occupation List, but their occupation is on the relevant State/Territory government list. It can also be useful for applicants who may fall slightly short on the points as additional points are provided for the State/Territory Government sponsorship.

Two Col Img 04

Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa subclass 491

This is a provisional visa providing 5 year validity from date of grant. It is also points tested with similar primary criteria to the above with the variation of State/Territory or close Australian family sponsorship. With the subclass 491 visa you can only live, work and study in designated regional areas of Australia (designated regional areas are defined as any area excluding Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane – Note: Gold Coast is classified as a regional area). Following a period of 3 years, subclass 491 visa holders can look to apply for Subclass 191 Permanent Residence (Skilled Regional) visa.

Permanent Residence (Skilled Regional) Visa Subclass 191

Subclass 191 is the primary permanent visa pathway for persons who hold subclass 491 and 494 provisional regional visas. If you currently hold one of these provisional visas we can assist with the required compliance and work with you in anticipation of reaching the 3 years period to apply for subclass 191.

To be eligible to apply for Subclass 491, applicants must be either:

Sponsored by an eligible relative: for family sponsored the family member must be an Australian Citizen or permanent resident, a close family member and be living in a postcode designated regional area. In addition family sponsored applicants must have an occupation on a Skilled Occupation List.

Sponsored/nominated by an Australian State or Territory Government agency.
For Small Business Owners in Queensland, a new Small Business Owners (SBO) pathway was open to applications on 11 December 2019. Please note that the SBO pathway is currently only available to applicants who will be located in designated regional Queensland.

The 491 visa does not grant immediate permanent residency, however a 491 visa holder may be eligible to apply for the new Permanent Residence (Skilled Regional) Visa (subclass 191) (open to applications from 16 November 2022).
The above skilled work visa options operate under an Expression of Interest (EOI) process where individuals submit an expression to apply for the relevant visa. Twice a month the Department of Home Affairs provide invitations to apply.


Frequently Asked Questions

To assist with you arranging consultation please find below some common questions

Take The First Step To Get An Australian Visa

Enquire now